Saturday 11 June 2011

Say Buddy, wanna buy a guitar?

Normally artistic integrity would prevent me from selling my soul for filthy lucre. However, in mitigation, the commercial interests at stake are not mine, but Number One Son's. He's just completed his pièce de résistance, a beautifully built acoustic guitar with lovely banding around the sound hole and at the base. There's a Brazilian rosewood (apparently as rare as hen's teeth) inlay at the end of the neck. I'm no expert in musical instruments, but I do know how much love and have a reasonable idea of how many hours were poured into this artwork. I also think I have a fair eye for good workmanship and can tell you there aren't any flaws I can spot. Oh, and he's trying to make it his first sale.


Iain could have taken the easy option after university and gone into teaching. He didn't. He chose instead to pursue something that captured his imagination, something that, with some application and a large slice of luck will ensure him a decent living, something that will give him that elusive ideal so many of us seek, real job satisfaction. I'm proud of him and I desperately hope he can make a go of this.


So, here's the hook. Are any of you in the market for a hand built guitar and are willing and able to pay a fair price? If you're reading this via Facebook, have a look at my friends list and pick out Iain Lewis. You will find a number of photos of his work in his photo albums.  If you know someone who would be interested in such an instrument, please think about pointing them in Iain's direction. Thanks for reading this blatant plug.

No comments:

Post a Comment